On 2002-04-05 13:38, "Mark Benson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 08:53 AM, David Wood wrote:
>
>> It's been years since I had an ocassion to zap PRAM on any of my Macs
>> and
>> that was on my original Mac LC. However, it seems as if I recall that it
>> also wiped and reset some info about the original date of service (or
>> manufacture or some such), and zero'ed the number of hours of use.
>> Anyone
>> else seen that?
>
> According to Tattle Tech (I don't know why I didn't try it before - it's
> fantastic) thi is nit the time of manufacture and hours of use, it is
> the time since the PRAM was last zapped and hours of use since said.
> After all how do you expect it to remember when it was built if your
> clear the only sustained RAM on the computer? You can't keep it hard
> coded on a ROM, you'd have to do them one at a time or at least a days
> worth at a time, which ain't conducive to mass production....

The time of manufacture and the hours-of-use counter aren't cleared with a
normal PRAM zap. They can be cleared only by a "deep zap", which can be
administered by tools like TechTool, for last resort troubleshooting
purposes (TechTool restores the manufacturing date and hours-of-use counter
after a deep zap, if so desired).

,xtG
.tsooJ
--