----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Vintage Macs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 10:39 PM
Subject: Possible Performa 200 motherboard problem

> Greetings all, this is my first post to this list.
> I have a Performa 200 which right now is not booting at all.
> I do get a video image, but it is just 4 black and 4 white vertical
stripes,
> with some non-alphanumeric, but somewhat patterned line segment thrown in
> for good confusion

> Also, failing getting this one to boot, what would be the most desirable
> replacement motherboard to hunt down to fit into this machine?  I have an
> LCII, possibly on the fritz, as well, and have seen some references of
items
> being compatible between the LCs and the Classics, would these 2
> motherboards be exchangeable?
> I eagerly await some knowledge!
> Thanks!
> -Brian

Most like the ROMs have failed. That's the leading cause of striped
displays.

If you field-strip it, take it completely down, peer over the motherboard
carefully,
and look for any signs of obvious damage, such as water stains, darkened
areas or
components.

You can TRY reseating the RAM chips, but this seldom fixes it.

The most likely candidate for a transplant would be the Classic II, it's
twin brother.

JEff