Mark B. replied:
>> As I discovered early on any switch for Mac monitors has
>> to be able to direct all the lines to the Mac (including the sense
>> pins that tell it what monitor type it is). I manage now by having
>> several MAc to PC adapters on them (since I use a PC monitor anyway)
>> which fools the Mac into thinking it has a monitor attached even when
>> it isn't.

This sound like a good solution to me. Just fool the LCII. I'd say:
shortcut the sensing pins in the proper way (depending on desired
resolution).

>Is this LC II upgradeable?  Can a newer video card be put in this so that it
>could recognize this higher speed monitor (I really don't know what I am
>talking about...).

You could, as <http://www.lowendmac.com/video/lc/index.html> shows, but
there's no place, since the IIe card occupies your PDS slot.

>The only thing I need this LC II is to play my old 5.25" Apple IIe disks.

I took a look at it on LEM, and I must say: a rather nifty device :)

>If only a Y-adaptor was created that I could plug into the back
>of the monitor, sending 1 cable to the LC II, sending the other to the
>switchbox..

Yes, but you'd have to build it. Have some info here, but read on.

>If this LC II is upgradeable (I only have the 256k VRAM), I am willing to
>spend the extra money, just so I can avoid the clutter.

LEM says: " The video circuitry was also tweaked to better server those
using VGA and multisync monitors.
video: 256 KB VRAM, expandable to 512 KB; supports 512x382 and 640x480
resolutions (must have 512 KB VRAM for 8-bits at 640x480)"

Having read this, it is important to check if your 17" monitor can do
640x480 at 256 colours. If so, it makes sense to proceed with the
Y-adaptor.

hope to hear,

-mart