Now the sh*t has hit the fan.

>> Having read this, it is important to check if your 17" monitor can do
>> 640x480 at 256 colours. If so, it makes sense to proceed with the
>> Y-adaptor.
>>
>Just checked the Monitors control panel, and yepper, it can handle it.
>
>Any recommendations on this Y-adaptor?  I have a few monitor cables that I
>purchased off of eBay last year (so I can have the Mac go to the switch
>box).  I also have a friend that's an "expert" on electronics/soldering.  If
>we just match up the wires and solder them together, will this work?

I very much think so. Here are the connectors, soldering sides (!!),
preferrably viewed in a monospace typeface:

VGA:

\    1   2   3   4   5     /
 \     6   7   8   9  10  /
  \ 11  12  13  14  15   /

Mac:

\  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  /
 \   9  10  11  12  13  14  15   /

Connections are as follows:

VGA :
1 Red
2 Green
3 Blue
4 GND
5 -
6 GND of Red
7 GND of
8 GND of
9 (no pin)
10 GND of Sync
11 GND when used as Colour mon.
12 GND when used as B/W mon.
13 H Sync
14 V Sync
15 -

Mac:
1 GND of Red
2 Red
3 -
4 sense pin 0
5 Green
6 GND of Green
7 sense pin 1
8 -
9 Blue
10 sense pin 2
11 GND of Sync
12 V Sync
13 GND of Blue
14 GND of Sync
15 H Sync

For starters, connect all three the sensing pins (Mac pins 1,4 and 7)
together and then to GND of Sync (VGA pin 11 and or 14). See if that works.
Fat chance it does :)

>BIG question here.  The 1705 monitor requires a special cable.  The end that
>plugs into the monitor, looks like a PC plug, while the other end is a
>standard Mac cable.  Will a PC cable work on the Mac?  I know both ends are
>smaller, but I have the adaptors/etc.

You can check if your cable follows the above specs. Remenber to mirror the
drawings above, because, as said, they represent the soldering side.

I'd build this single cable first. Works neatly; HF doesn't like
spider-like wire-messes. If it works, you then know for sure and you can
easily proceed to a switchbox, or integrate the findings in the existing
one.

hope to hear,

-mart