> This sound like a good solution to me. Just fool the LCII. I'd say:
> shortcut the sensing pins in the proper way (depending on desired
> resolution).
>
> >Is this LC II upgradeable?  Can a newer video card be put in this so that
it
> >could recognize this higher speed monitor (I really don't know what I am
> >talking about...).
>
> I took a look at it on LEM, and I must say: a rather nifty device :)
>
> >If only a Y-adaptor was created that I could plug into the back
> >of the monitor, sending 1 cable to the LC II, sending the other to the
> >switchbox..
>
> Yes, but you'd have to build it. Have some info here, but read on.
>

> Having read this, it is important to check if your 17" monitor can do
> 640x480 at 256 colours. If so, it makes sense to proceed with the
> Y-adaptor.

Just checked the Monitors control panel, and yepper, it can handle it.

Any recommendations on this Y-adaptor?  I have a few monitor cables that I
purchased off of eBay last year (so I can have the Mac go to the switch
box).  I also have a friend that's an "expert" on electronics/soldering.  If
we just match up the wires and solder them together, will this work?

BIG question here.  The 1705 monitor requires a special cable.  The end that
plugs into the monitor, looks like a PC plug, while the other end is a
standard Mac cable.  Will a PC cable work on the Mac?  I know both ends are
smaller, but I have the adaptors/etc.