My Reply follows quote. On 31/07/2002 13:27
[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R.A. Cantrell)
>on 7/31/02 3:10 PM, william ahearn at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> In the case of currently available software I agree
>> with you.
>I'm trying to direct the conversation toward this category in order to
>confine the discussion to the abstract consideration of ownership rights,
>not the practical aspects of ownership. I think "we" may have been acting
>in haste by granting certain "rights" simply because of "thinking of it
>first" { aka creating it} and that  the implications of enforcing those
>"rights" are ominous.
--------------
It would seem to me that the originator of the software has a vested
interest in controlling his intellectual property for as long as
possible. While a specific version of (an Operating System in this case)
may no longer be commercially viable and thus no longer distributed, much
of the underlying code may exist for several generations of the operating
system. Thus, the creator "deserves" to profit from his work. It would
seem to be in the interest of a capitalist market to reward creativity
through "exclusivity" rights. The amount of time that this protected
period should exist may be debated (and always is!) but the fact of the
right to the protection would seem rather obvious. If one must surrender
"good" ideas to society in general, why bother? Altruism? Sounds like the
market system of the old USSR. Where are they now?

Ken