On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:18:54AM -0800, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

> Do they have a revision history with what's been fixed?  That is, IF they've
> ever released any updates to the original drivers. ;)

While we are talking about drivers...

I have a PowerMac, and am considering a PPC upgrade for one of my 68k
Mac systems.

Is there a list of cards and drivers that work with a PPC based system?

I run Cabletron and Asante nubus ethernet in 68k systems.  I got an 8100
for free the other day, and it's having trouble running an Asante card.
MacTCP works great, but Open Transport won't let it connect.

That's not entirely correct actually, because it did connect to the
DHCP server and get it's address assigned.  It just won't use DNS or
make connections after that.

> $^#$^& companies that sell a product for 6 months, release ONE driver update
[snip]

Amen.  Just look how hard they make it to get old drivers for markets
they claim to have no further interest in. If that's true, then why not
give it up?

I plan on maintaining an organized list of drivers and I am going to
create a CD set for it.  It will take time, but it's insane how much
time it takes to run around gathering software for older machines.

The problem with current sites or old systems is that all too often they
link to others sites instead of archiving the files themselves.  While
I appreciate their efforts, the links go dead temporarily and sometimes
permantently too often.

We need an old computer archive that will be around, and won't rely
on other sites.

A guy I know is trying to create one.  The idea is to have a computer
history archive with pictures and information.  If you click on a link
to a machine, a Mac IIci for example, you get a list of drivers, OS,
and other necessary items.

The trick is getting people to contribute to the archive, and paying
for the hosting.

The only saving grace for a project like this is that most older systems
have smaller files, so storage isn't generally a problem.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]