On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:20:34AM -0800, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

> --- Charles Shannon Hendrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > While we are talking about drivers...
> >
> > I have a PowerMac, and am considering a PPC upgrade
> > for one of my 68k Mac systems.
>
> Which 68k Mac? The 030 ones use the DayStar Turbo 601.

I have a pair of Mac IIci.

> raise the connector above the Power Card. The whole
> works was then stuffed into a desktop PC case. :)

Ick.  One of the reasons I hate my PC is the cases usually suck.
They are a huge source of reliability problems.

> 7.6.x requires an enabler only on the PPC Disk Tools
> floppy. To ensure proper support, do a clean FAT
> install on the Mac with the upgrade installed and
> activated using the control panel on the 68k Disk
> Tools floppy. The Mac will restart then refuse to
> boot from the 68k floppy, so pop in the PPC floppy
> with the enabler in the System Folder.

So this means that you must make floppies, and can't install from the
virtual disk images?

So far, I've done all upgrades with virtual floppy and CD images.

Also, I've noticed that my 8100 isn't as much faster than my Daystar 030
IIci as I expected.  I assume this is because of emulation.  It seemed
to get a little better with the 7.5.3 upgrade, I don't know.

Would running OS 8.6 on a 601 upgrade be a good idea, since that version
supposedly is (more) PPC optimized?

> Zapping the PRAM turns the 601 upgrade off, so on an
> 030 running 8.1 you'll need a 7.5 to 7.6.1 68k disk
> with the enabler and the control panel (just will
> fit!) to turn the 601 back on.

You think it would be possible to Applescript something in the startup
folder to check for this sort of thing and turn it on?

It just seems like Applescript would be ideal for these sorts of boot
up issues, provided it has the needed hooks.

> No super comprehensive list yet. The main troubles are with video cards.
> Many NuBus video cards will

So I've noticed.

Oh well, it's fun to play around anyway.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]