On Sunday, Nov 24, 2002, at 16:04 Europe/London, Daniel Kendell wrote:

> For a while last night it worked one way only, the IIci could see the
> G3 but
> i lost it somehow and can't get it back.

Usual checks first:

Cables connected (mine do occasionally get pulled out by things moving
at the other end of my desk, don't ask me how!), card seated right,
switch ok.

OK, now check:

Filesharing is turned on (I presume you are running OS 9.x on the G3 as
it wouldn't have worked with OS X at all unless you hacked OS X first)
on both machines. AppleTalk is set to the correct port, *for the sake
of argument that the IP addresses are both set and on the same sub-net,
not that it should matter so much*.

As you don't mention what OS you are using then I can't go into
specifics at both ends.

That's about all I can suggest.

> What puzzles me is that i did nothing to loose it or get it! Or at
> least if
> i did something then i can't remember what it was! I have changed
> settings,
> changed back restarted, restarted and restarted but nothing works.

AppleTalk over ethernet is a fickle beast. I have had it fudge up on me
many a time, as well as being slow for no reason, spewing out constant
crap for no reason, and suddenly refusing to copy files to a folder I
just copied to. Weird, but true!

On Sunday, Nov 24, 2002, at 21:53 Europe/London, Marten van de Kraats
wrote:

>> For a while last night it worked one way only, the IIci could see the
>> G3 but
>> i lost it somehow and can't get it back.
>
> Maybe the G3's ip address changed.

That's unlikely to make much difference on a IIci, as it's likely using
legacy AppleTalk not AFP over IP.

--
Mark Benson
AIM - SilValleyPirate