On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 07:55:34AM +0000, Daniel Kendell wrote:
> Hi,
> I too have a IIci that i wanted to upgrade.
> The IIci only takes old 120 ns 30-pin SIMMs. To the best of my knowledge you
> can't buy these new anymore, only second hand. - They appear on ebay every
> now and then.

I don't believe a IIci can use 120ns RAM.  I had trouble with mine with
100ns RAM I had in storage.

My IIci has 32-bit 16MB 60ns SIMMs in it.  I wouldn't use anything slower
than 80ns myself.

Maybe it's just my IIci, but then they are both like that.

> The HDD is SCSI. That was the only upgrade i could preform. 250mb now.

There are a variety of other upgrades you can use.

I picked out a 50MHz Daystar Powercache for mine, and you can also get
68040 upgrades, and PowerPC upgrades for a IIci.

> For ram, the only thing i could suggest for getting ram that you know is
> good and hasn't been handled is to find someone selling a whole  bust
> computer for spares then you could transfer the ram sticks across.

If you are willing to pay, you can get new RAM.  It's very, very
expensive.  They have to keep making small quantities to support
long-running systems.

There is a Sun reseller or two on eBay who dumps RAM frequently, a lot
of which will work in Apple systems.

Make sure you check our IIci to see if it needs parity RAM.  You can
find out how to tell at various web sites.

> To find out what other pre-powermac computers use that kind of ram then go
> to my website at: http://megamacs.tripod.com (You will only get two popups)
> I will have to check why the IIci link is missing.

Also, take a look at www.lowendmac.com and the links listed there for more
information.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]