--- Todd Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Another weird thing....  I have been
> hooking the LC to the
> iMac using a crossover cable, since that's how it
> would be connected to my
> tower at home, and afterwards, the port on my iMac
> dies and I have to restart
> the whole system before it will show up on the
> router again.  Weird.  I'm
> losing hope here.  Any ideas?

Stick a 10 megabit hub between the two and use
normal cables. Some of the old NICs for 68k Macs
don't properly identify their capabilities and some
of the newer 10/100 NICs, switches and hubs get all
freaked out about it. Another solution, especially
if you have a mix of 10 and 10/100 hardware, is to
use a managed switch that allows per-port setting of
speed and full or half duplex. AFAIK, all the
10megabit
NICs for 68k Macs were half duplex.

That could be the problem too, the iMac not
automatically switching from full to half duplex.

=====
Subatomic conspiracy group: The Free Mesons.
(There are very few good jokes in quantum physics.)