Todd Russell wrote:

Hey Gamba,

When I try that, I get the following message: Drive selection failed. Unable to locate a suitable drive connected to the SCSI port. Apple System Profiler, however, still reports it as being present. The SCSI id is 0, and I'm cheating by trying to do this on a beige G3 in an ATX case to save some time pulling the drive in and out. Would either of those be a factor? I'm assuming not, but I have never used this version of Drive Setup before.

Well at least the beige finally has a power supply. ;)
I thought System profiler was a give away for a off topic mac.
Some basic questions:
Whats the scsi id of the other drive?
Have you looked closely at all the jumper settings for the drive, there are others apart from the scsi id jumpers and you may need to close one. Without some drive info its hard to help.
Have you tried setting the id to one after the the original hd, for example most of the macs here use "0" as the boot disk so any other drive will come after it on the chain.
Have you checked the termination of the drive already installed? if already terminated the new drive may be ingnored.
Have you tried scsi probe, its good for seeing whats where on the scsi chain.
Will the OS8 disk tools disk found at http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/bootdisks.html be of any use to boot the system and check the new drive with the original drive disconnected? Works here. :) and might help you rule out conflicting hard drive ids and stuff like that without risking the data on the original drive.

A 10k drive will be noisey, all drives click at startup to one extent or another. Fast drives when used with stock drives may not always mount at boot but should always come up at reboot, the new drive doesn't spin up fast enough. Try with the disktools disk and only the new drive connected and see how you go. You may still need a hacked hdsetup on another floppy
I'm hoping you've got a case of scsi voodoo which everyone gets now and then http://www.scsischool.com/ or another seagate link might help you http://www.thetechpage.com/cgi-bin/default.cgi some info about both drives would be handy.
Its a basic mac question so avoild the word s beige G3 on this list. ;)

Good luck