--- Jeff Walther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<clip>
> so unless they
> were installing different firmware between the two
> models and somehow
> hacking the flash updater to know the difference, a
> Turbo601 is a
> Turbo601...And the adapters *might* be the same as
> well.

The Turbo 601 for the IIci was also sold for the IIvi
and IIvx, but there was a bug in it that limited their
onboard video to a max of 256 colors. Since the T601
was designed before the release of the vi/vx, DayStar
never considered anything about onboard video that
would do 16 or 24 bit color.

After shipping off the Turbo 601 to Daystar, it
would come back with a different version of the
control panel, along with allowing the IIvi/vx onboard
video to work properly. I've yet to find a copy of
that version of the control panel.

When I picked up my "Power IIci" with a 66Mhz T601,
32megs RAM and a 500 meg hard drive (for a whopping
$10) I only had a 12" Apple color monitor. The T601
control panel window was designed for a minimum of
640x480, so I poked around in it with ResEdit and
found a couple window resources with text about
flash RAM.

I bet the fix for the IIvi/vx was a simple matter
of plugging the Turbo 601 into one of those Macs
with the "special" version of the control panel,
enabling it then rebooting and watching the control
panel flash the ROM.

What I've not been able to find out is how the Turbo
601 will work (if at all) in a IIci after being
flashed
with the fix for the IIvi/vx.

At any rate, the built in SCSI Manager 4.3 in the
Turbo 601's ROM seems to be useless. When enabled and
Mac OS 7.6 installed, no software that requires
SCSI Manager 4.3 will run, claiming it's not present.

System 7.5.0 is supposed to install the SCSI Manager
4.3 Extention on Macs that do not have it in ROM,
but apparently that only applies to 040 Macs prior
to the Centris 610, which was the first to have it
in ROM. System 7.5.1 and up integrate SCSI Manager
4.3 into the System file if it's not in ROM, but
again apparently only on 040 Macs. Installing the
SCSI Manager 4.3 Extention from 7.5 does not work,
with or without the ROM version on the Turbo 601
enabled. Apps that require it still insit SM4.3 is
not present. Apparently they can detect the base
machine is an 030, not an 040 and from that refuse
to acknowledge SCSI Manager 4.3.

Also, Apple's 601 Upgrade Control Panel will only
_disable_ the Turbo 601. When attempting to _enable_
it, it returns an error that it only works on
Macs with a 68040 CPU. Thus the Daystar control
panel is the only thing that can enable the Turbo 601.

The Apple or Daystar control panel will work on the
Power Pro or Power Card, which were made for 040 Macs.

Unlike the 030 Universal Powercache, the Turbo 601
does NOT need the control panel once it's been
enabled. The PRAM is patched so that the 601 is
activated immediately upon power up. Zapping the PRAM
kicks the Mac back to the 030 CPU.

Mac OS up to 8.6 has been hacked to install onto a
IIci with a Turbo 601. Attemps to hack OS 9.x onto
the Turbo 601, Power Pro and Power Card appear to
have been abandoned.

=====
"You never have to repair or replace what you leave out of the design."
William "Bill" Powell Lear, inventor of the 8-Track tape and the Learjet.