Greetings-

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, John Niven wrote:
> I also have SE/30's. I prefer the Classic II styling but love the
> expansion port so I can put an ethernet card in there. A must for any
> Mac, in these days of networking.

The SE/30 styling's certainly a little less clean.  (It was the last of
the pre-SnowWhite Macs IIRC.)  However, I personally love the
expandability.  There's a guy on the NetBSD/mac68k list with 36GB
10,000RPM SCSI drives and 128MB of RAM in their SE/30s, and he's got a
50MHz Daystar PowerCache that he'll put in once he gets the right-angle
adapter.  Now that's one respectable compact Mac!

> Now a wireless ethernet adaptor fitted into a Classic II would be wild
> :-) Any suggestions anybody?

As it happens, I have a suggestion.  I've been meaning to try this out for
a while, although I'll admit I wasn't planning to use a Classic II for
it...  You can find SCSI PCMCIA card adapters out there.  There's at least
one PC Card wireless card out there (I'm told that the ubiquitous Lucent
WaveLAN/Orinoco card work with older drivers).  SCSI port to adapter,
wireless card in the adapter, the right drivers on the system, and there
you go!  You'd probably have to abandon System 6 for it, though, and I
wouldn't be surprised if it required 7.5.3 and higher with Open Transport.
Now, it sort of ruins the clean lines and all-in-one design of the Classic
II, and I suspect that processor and bus utilization would be sort of high
(don't even think about using WEP), but it might work.  I'll let everybody
know if I actually get it working on a Vintage Mac.

        -Seth