"Thomas Burns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've got  question about disk images. I'm trying to make a Network
>Access  Disk on a floppy. When I download the file from Apple and try
>to stick it on  a 1.4mb disk, it says Not enough room, addition 4k
>needed. I've reformatted  and tried different disks, same results.
>What's up with that?

I recommend Disk Charmer, a shareware program by Fabrizio Oddone. It
works on pretty much any Mac with System 7 or higher. I quote the
documentation:

"Disk Charmer lets you perform the following tasks:
(...)
   create oversize disks by reducing catalog space: you gain 8K on 800K
disks, 18K on 1.4M disks, 1.5M on Zip disks"

You pay for this by less flexibility for adding and changing content,
but for an installation disk, that is irrelevant.

You can use Disk Charmer to make a larger target disk and copy the files
manually, and probably also create an exact copy directly if you have
an original disk or mounted image. I want to add that I don't quite get
what you are trying to do - isn't "the file from Apple" an image,
supposed to be written to a floppy rather than be put on a floppy? But
this will at least give you the additional 4 kB you say you need.

I think you will have no trouble locating a copy of Disk Charmer on the
web. 3.1.2 is a good version - perhaps there are newer still.

Good luck

Mikael