At 1:28 PM -0500 2/13/05, Thomas Burns wrote:
I got Disk Copy to make an 800k boot disk for the SE. I never knew that about putting tape over the open hole in a disk to make it 800k.

On the SE itself, you can format a high-density floppy as 800K without using the tape. But if you are using a newer Mac that has the diskimages on it, you need to put the tape over the hole in order to format the blank floppy as 800K instead of 1.44. Also, if you use the SE to format a high-density diskette in the SE as 800K and take it to a newer Mac, the newer Mac will perceive it as an unformatted disk and invite you to format it when you insert it unless you tape over the hole.

Another question... is there any way to go beyond the 4mb of RAM in an SE? Can those slots take 4mb simms? I'm sure virtual memory would just be rediculous on an 8mhz machine.

You can't use virtual memory on an SE. No 32-bit addressing. Can't go past the 4 MB RAM limit either (ROM limitation).

The only way past these barriers that I know of:

a) some accelerator cards for the SE included options for additional RAM. I had an Applied Engineering 40 MHz '030 card in my SE and had 16 MBs (under System 6, in fact!) although the SE could only address it at 4 separate 4-MB chunks. (i.e., you could not give an application 5 MBs unto itself, but you could run six or seven apps that were given 1.5 to 2 MB each plus the OS). AE is long long out of business and if you score one used make sure the reseller guarantees it does indeed enable the extra RAM (it was a feature added only in the 11th hour of AE's existence). DayStar made similar accelerators and used a single 72-pin RAM slot but I don't recall how many MBs you could go up to. The modern Sonnet cards, AFAIK, do not make any provisions for extra RAM.

b) VM is even more difficult to obtain on an SE. The only way I know of is to obtain the (rare) kits for upgrading an SE to an SE/30. In their heyday they cost as much as a new computer, and even now I suspect it would be less hassle and less money to buy a used SE/30 instead. The SE/30 has a different ROM as well as a 16 MHz '030 CPU, and will support up to 128 MBs of RAM (using the extension that makes it 32-bit clean), will support an external color monitor if you install a monitor card (i.e., 32-bit QuickDraw), and will do virtual memory, and will of course be able to use 1.4 MB floppies (and PC formatted 720 and 1.4 MB floppies as well as Mac floppies).

Thanks Thomas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mikael Jolkkonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>