--- Juan Carlos De La Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thatīs my point. I mean, if I can make a Mac talk
> with a threesome of Linux
> Machines and a duo of WinTel ones, from different
> eras, and they all
> handshake together via TCP/IP, which has changed
> little in several years , I
> "might" be able to put the IIci to "Talk" TCP/IP and
> join the club, I guess.

The problem is that Apple chose to leave the party
when Windows 95 was released. There's an AppleShare
Client for Windows 3.1x. They announced a client for
Windows 95 and immediately stopped work on it.

>From 1995 through OS 9.2.2, Apple provided no way to
network a Macintosh with any other operating system.

The Linux community came up with their own solutions
for working with Mac, Microsoft had Services For
Macintosh on their NT, 2000 and 2003 Server versions
of Windows, but Apple just turned their nose up at
the whole idea, except for the very expensive
AppleShare IP. (And Microsoft's server versions of
Windows were also out of reach on price for most
home users too.)

That left a large hole for the aftermarket to fill
with DAVE and PC MacLAN, which are also priced too
high for many users with one or two each Mac and PC
systems.

So until OSX, the average Joe User had to either
shell out a large chunk of money, or run Linux on a
PC (either their main system or another box as a 'go
between') to get their Mac to work with the rest of
the computer world.

I dunno why it took so long, but Apple finally got a
clue with OSX that there are a large number of Mac
owners who also own a non-Mac system and did not
appreciate having to jury-rig a setup just to be able
to share files and printers.

> Can I configure it to be "the" print server over
> TCP/IP? Does anyone has
> further update on the "IIci as a mp3 player" idea?

Well, you'd have to run a 68k version of DAVE on it,
the printer attached would have to connect via serial
or be one of the ethernet equipped LaserWriters.
The printer will also need drivers for Windows and
any other OS you want to print to it with AND the
printer MUST have at least Adobe PostScript Level One.

One non-Apple printer that'd work is an HP 1200CS.
That's a 300DPI workgroup inkjet. Uses four ink tanks,
has four 72pin SIMM slots (one used for PostScript),
built in serial and parallel ports and an MIO slot
for which you can get AppleTalk, Ethernet, TokenRing
and other types of JetDirect printserver cards.
(The AppleTalk one is just a Mac Serial port, not
a print server, but it does allow sharing amongst
Macintoshes.) These cards will work in any HP printer
with an MIO slot, like a LaserJet 4M (Which is just
a 4 with a PostScript SIMM.) The LaserJet 4, 5 and 6
series are supported for Mac System and OS, HP has
a driver package download for them. (Forget trying
a LaserJet II or III with a Mac, it's an exercise in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@!!!!!)

As for the IIci playing MP3, just forget it. Ain't
gonna happen. I did once play a couple MP3's with
some version of SoundApp, but it had to fully convert
the MP3 to AIFF in RAM before it would begin to
play it. (My IIci had 80 megs RAM.) If you stopped
or paused playback, SoundApp would flush its RAM
cache so it'd have to fully convert the MP3 again
before playing. I gave up after two songs. ;)

It will be total Fandemonium!
August (Fri) 5th, (Sat) 6th & (Sun) 7th, 2005
http://www.fandemonium.org