The "rumor" was started by Steve Job's announcement, and, as I understand it, has to do with the fact that Intel is leading the industry in low power cpu's, allowing maximum time between charges on laptop computers, which are the industry's biggest sellers right now. With the best operating system and a competitive time between charges (TBC -- okay, I made that abbreviation up), Apple can continue to compete; otherwise, it becomes the left behind.

NPR had an in depth discussion of the subject tonight on All Things Considered.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "J.S. Garrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Vintage Macs" <vintage.macs@mail.maclaunch.com>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: Oh my....... Intel CPU's???

--- Liam Proven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am amazed. It's the end of an era. Every major
computing platform in
the world will run on the same architecture. And
it's the oldest and
arguably the worst. CISC has won. One ISA to rule
them all, one ISA to
find them; one ISA to bring them all and in the
darkness bind them.

--
Liam Proven

I can't believe so much is being made here of what
amounts to an unsubstantiated rumor.

At the outset, to change to Intel chips would indeed
remove the thing that makes a Mac a Mac. And in doing
so would kill Mac's following once and for all.

Perhaps the REAL purpose for the starting of said
rumor?

Jeff G

Facere Compositio Ex Congeries