ok, super!   I'll be interested in your findings and comments.

 I was wondering if you were scanning in an otherwise-bright situation
where the codes were in shadow.

A week or so back, I was at our local supermarket, testing shelf tags and
while I found that most were readable without a problem, some few were
angled downwards so that they in a lot of shadow.   They were readable, but
I could also hypothesize a situation where the shadow was so intense that
the camera could not get them.  And in that case, a manual override on the
flash might be useful.