We don't recommend it.

The iPod Touch does not have an autofocus camera.   On versions of iOS
prior to 4.1.2, the way the system handled contrast was good enough that we
could get bar code reads from it, but after 4.1.2, we could not.

Unfortunately, having once worked on the iPod Touch, Apple won't allow us
to stop offering it on that device, even though we have explained that one
of their software updates made the product not work.

We have found that you can make it work by using an external fisheye lens
(something I'll be writing up on our blog this weekend), but it is a
cumbersome approach.

At least IMHO.