I have for awhile used the method of planting one finger and making a
sweeping diagonal motion on the screen with another finger on the same
hand. I think the important thing is to find something that works that
is comfortable for the individual for their use  and I think there
definitely are ways. The two finger one on each side of the phone
seems to produce good results as well. My wrist has absolutely never
liked the knob twisting motion on the flat screen at all. The rotor
was the one gesture I had concerns about even before I got or tried
the IPhone. I can think of alternatives that would possibly be nice if
they could be implemented, but that is not reality for now and may
never be. Maybe like defining a long gesture up or down th screen with
one or two fingers for example. Make it have to cover most of the
screen from top to bottom so as not to conflict with shorter up or
down swipes maybe. So like a short swipe up or down do what it does
now to do what the rotor is set to and a definite intentional longer
swipe to change what it would do (change the rotor). Might be nice.