From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:01 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: OT: Why Did Apple Create VoiceOver?

I know you didn't want conjecture, but I've seen several times, from people
who were involved with the issue at the time, that Apple did this because
they had no accessibility story and were losing out to Microsoft and PC's in
government and educational contracts. When Berkley Systems went out of
business or stopped developing Outspoken, the 3rd party screen reader for
Macs, there was no screen reader for Apple products and no other 3rd party
company was stepping in to fill the void. In order to continue to have an
accessibility story, and compete with PC's for these contracts, Apple chose
to enter the screen reader market themselves.

Like I said, I don't have any documents to prove this, only hearsay from
people who were familiar with the issue at the time. I also wouldn't expect
Apple to market the above story. For whatever reason, they embraced
accessibility, and they can just market their commitment to full
accessibility by everyone. I also don't think this takes away at all from
Apple's commitment to accessibility and what they've been able to accomplish
with VoiceOver. They are a corporation after-all, and if they saw a profit
in making their products accessible, there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree VoiceOver is a great product, and I can understand your willingness
to support a company that builds accessibility into their product, but I
don't think it's leaps and bounds better than every other screen reader out
there. I think this is a highly subjective opinion.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail