This decision was made in the mid 90's. The person in charge of JAWS development was hired as head of accessibility for MS. The decision not to develop a full fledged screen reader was made largely to protect what was Henter-Joyce, now Freedom Scientific.

Andy

-----Original Message----- From: Timothy Harshbarger
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:44 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: OT: Why Did Apple Create VoiceOver?

In Microsoft's defense...

I believe their original plan was to create a full-fledged screen reader for
Windows in the late 90's--that is what Narrator was supposed to become.
However, many in the blind community as well as the screen reader vendors
were very vocally opposed to this.
The opposition to a built-in screen reader was based on concerns that it
would put all the screen reader vendors out of business and then Microsoft
would fail to keep up a commitment to producing a good screen reader in the
future.  Those people opposed didn't want to have to rely on Microsoft for
their screen reader.
I remember being present at one of the public announcements of Narrator.
Microsoft was very careful to ensure people that Narrator wasn't intended to
take the place of the other screen readers--that it was just intended for
emergency use, not every day use.

My guess is that Apple would have received the same response if there had
been screen readers available for OSX.  There wasn't, so things worked out
differently.