From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:26 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Cc: Ricardo Walker
Subject: Re: OT: Why Did Apple Create VoiceOver?

I'm one of those people who felt that way. I admit now though that what
Apple has done has given me a lot to think about though. I'm not sure it was
still the wrong thing to have done though. Who knows where we'd be today if
MS had gotten into the screen reader business. If MS had a screen reader
that worked well with only MS products and Apple had a screen reader that
only worked well with Apple products and the 3rd party screen reader
companies had gone by the board, who knows where we'd be right now. If MS's
screen reader had only been mediocre, how much would Apple have had to do to
keep pace? Hind sight is 20/20 I guess.

I'm still a little nervous about OS/application companies getting into the
screen reader business, although I admit Apple has done a great job.
I still worry about how much Apple works to make sure other companies
products (Firefox, MS Office, ...) and so on are supported by VoiceOver.
This concern will grow as Apple gets into more applications and services. I
know someone can say that it's the applications developer's responsibility
to make their applications accessible with VoiceOver, but as someone who
needs an accessible computer and set of applications to remain gainfully
employed, I just want someone to make the applications accessible, and I
don't want the screen reader developers pointing fingers at the application
developers or the other way around.

Apple's closed and proprietary system also gives me pause. I know MS is also
heading in that direction. It's obviously been a wildly successful model for
Apple, which is why other companies are following their lead, but I fear
getting locked into one companies products, file formats and so on over
another's. I know it offers some advantages, in performance, security, ease
of use and so on, but I fear that it'll also have some negative side
effects, such as cutting down on employment options.

These are just my own personal views, and as I said, Apple has done a lot to
make me rethink my opinions. BTW, I'm also glad Apple has done as much as
they have to prove me wrong. I doubt these opinions are shared by many on
this list, and I think it's probably getting a bit off topic for the list,
so I hope people will forgive me if I've disagreed with anyone else's
opinions or gone too far afield on this list.

>>> Twitter:@apple2thecore
>>> www.appletothecore.info
>>>
>>> On Jun 24, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Christopher Chaltain
>>> <chalt...@gmail.com>

>> persons
>> would
>> in
>> companies
>> also

>> tablets.

email me off list, I'll summarize to the list.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail