Frank,
The digit-eyes site has some good info about this. Here's an old message from Nancy on the subject.
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bluetooth laser scanners for the iPhone
From: Nancy M <nmira...@gmail.com>
To: VIPhone <viphone@googlegroups.com>

We've tested the Scanfob 2002 and KDC300 laser scanners that connect
to the iPhone with Bluetooth.      The KDC300 retails between $549 and
$599; the ScanFob retails for $299.  Both scanners can use Bluetooth
and can connect either as a keyboard or as a serial device.

Our testing was mostly done on an iPhone using the version of Digit-
Eyes that runs in the Safari mobile browser.  We also tested with the
iPod and iPad and the results were identical.  In this configuration,
the scanner performs as a keyboard device.

The bottom line?

We're still a fan of scanning with visible light and using the
iPhone.  It is nice to just have the one device and not have to carry
a scanner.  However, if you are scanning a lot of things and want to
make an investment in some extra hardware, the laser is a nice option
to have.

We think that if you have some vision, that the Scanfob is usable.  It
is undeniable that the lower price is attractive and it might even be
worth the trouble of having to move the scanned object a lot to save
the money.   However,  the extra $200 for the KDC300 buys a
flexibility and ease of use that, in our opinion, its worth the
money.   Particularly if you have no vision or if you do a lot of
scanning, the KDC300 would be a much better choice in terms of ease of
use and speed of capture.

The complete review (including product descriptions) is on our blog:
http://www.digit-eyes.com/blog/