IMHO, encryption definitely has it's place. You're right though, it's not for everything. If you can't remember the password for an encrypted backup then that backup is worth less than nothing. Better to have an unencrypted backup than a backup you can't use, unless of course your unencrypted backup is in an open place and is likely to be compromised.

It's my understanding that an encrypted iPhone backup does save your passwords, which you won't get in an unencrypted backup, so this is a good reason to use an encrypted backup and take the steps necessary to remember your password.

On 02/10/2015 04:20 PM, Mike Arrigo wrote:
In order to remove the encription on a backup, you will need the
password. This kind of thing is why, in general, using encription causes
more problems than it solves, it's usually not worth it.
Original message:

I just tried this and was unable to get it to work. When I tried to
uncheck encrypted backup I was prompted to enter my password. I am
running Itunes 12.0.1.26 and the latest IOS 8.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Neal Ewers
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:28 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: I forgot my encrypted backup password

Charles, thanks for this, but it does raise two questions.

One. Is the old password still active? It doesn’t seem that it is
asking you to change it, just adding another one.

Two. If number one is true, which password will it want when you try
to restore from that backup? I assume it will act on the last one you
created, but it would be too bad if this is not true and it still
wants the original one.

Neal