Well, if you're unable to keep up with a password in order to restore a
backup, I'm not sure you should be using a SmartPhone or a computer. The
encrypted backup through iTunes is an excellent tool and the only way to
fully backup and restore all the specific apps on your device in addition to
passwords and other settings.

I Googled this and the Apple Support article seems to confirm that without
the encrypted backup password, you can't start over with another backup.
Here's an Apple Support article on Troubleshooting Encrypted Backups but I
didn't find any help with their troubleshooting:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203790

If you have no need of the encrypted backup and simply want to start fresh,
I found the following recommendation which someone else has already
suggested:

1. Open iTunes preferences from the Edit Menu. Pressing ctrl + the comma key
is the shortcut key to do this.
2. Click the Devices tab which on my version of iTunes is the tab before
Advanced in the dialog box which opens. Here you will find the backups
listed and you should be able to tab until you hear Device backups which
means you're in the list of backups on the computer. Make sure you mark them
all by holding down the shift key while you arrow through the list.
3. Delete them by clicking the Delete Backup button below the pane. Alt + b
is the shortcut to initiate the delete. Before you do this, make sure you
have no need of these backups which seems pretty obvious as you've lost
their password.
4. Now you can start over.

The above came from this site:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/64875/i-forgot-my-encrypt-local-bac
kup-password-how-can-i-start-over

I edited the post to include shortcut keys and to make it specific to your
situation.

I don't know if this will work or not but it seems like the only option
that's available and with little if any cost other than the time it takes to
try it.

Please let us know if it works.

Alan Lemly