From: "Sieghard Weitzel" <siegh...@live.ca>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2015 9:59 PM
Subject: RE: Updating to IOS 9... phone is a brick!!! Help!

I know this won't help you now, but that is why upgrading via iTunes is such a
much more accessible process. When I upgraded my
wife's iPhone 6 (I use iTunes on a Windows 10 PC with Jaws) I could see the
download progress (that part is OK on the iPhone), but
once it started installing (where the iPhone says it's rebooting) Jaws keeps on
telling you what is going on once you put focus on
that area, e.g. extracting update, Verifying update with Apple,, installing
software, installing firmware and so on. In between you
also hear the PC sounds of USB disconnecting and reconnecting as your iPhone
reboots multiple times during the process and all in
all it's just a much less uncertain process.
Having said this I did decide to update my 5S over the air after I downloaded
an iOS 8.4.1 firmware file which would have allowed me
to downgrade again had the phone bug been really bad. I was able to follow the
download progress, once my phone said it was
rebooting I kept it nearby so I could be sure I would hear Voiceover when it
was done. I think it's important to be patient and not
to touch the screen and especially not to press the power or home buttons.
Maybe I am just imagining this and it doesn't matter, but
I just kept my fingers away from it and about 10 or 12 minutes later Voiceover
came back and told me the update was done, I had to
double tap on the "Slide to setup" message and go through a few of the setup
screens and that was it.
I am happy to say that the first time somebody called me and I had a headset
connected my phone only vibrated and I couldn'd answer
the call. Now, however, it seems to work fairly well, I can answer with the
remote on the headset and also a double tap and the
screen seems to be active although maybe a bit sluggish. What is more important
after I hang up a call my phone and Voiceover do not
freeze up so it appears I got lucky.