From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 2:41 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Lost iPhone 6S - insurances do sometimes pay

Hi all,

So, for those who didn’t read this before, I was visiting my family who own a
working cattle ranch in northern British ?Columbia over Christmas. I went for a
walk at -28 Celsius on December 22 and after getting to the end of the 1.3 Km
long driveway of the ranch I realized my brandnew iPhone 6S was no longer in
the chest pocket of my jacket. To make a long story short, I went home and
immediately tried “Find my iPhone” using my wife’s iPhone 6 and also tried to
call my number. Calls went straight to voice mail and my iPhone showed as
offline and I guess it is not too surprising that the phone would have turned
itself off in these temperatures.

My brother, sister in law and several of my nephews spent hours and hours
searching the driveway, snow on the gravel driveway itself was compacted and
next to it was maybe 10 inches of snow. We even bought a metal detector and
searched certain spots where my tracks indicated I had walked into some deeper
snow but after a total of at least 12 or 15 hours of searching over several
days the iPhone remained mysteriously lost. There is, by the way, no way
somebody may have found it and taken it because the ranch is very remote and
nobody else drove along that driveway.

I guess there is a small chance my new guide dog who was running around
off-leash found it on the ground and thinking it was a toy or something picked
it up and after carrying it off a ways may have dropped it.

Anyhow, now that the holidays are over, I contacted my insurance broker since I
added a small add-on policy to my home insurance which is supposed to cover my
iPhone in case of loss or theft which are situations where Apple Care will do
nothing for you. I added this policy a few years ago when I travelled to the
Philippines quite a bit to visit my then girl-friend and now wife because in
countries like this phone theft especially of an iPhone is very common. The
policy is I think about $30 a year and has a $100 deductable.

I explained the situation to my insurance broker, they called the insurance
company and registered a claim, a few hours later I received a call from a very
friendly young lady to whom I explained everything again while she was
recording it and taking notes. Once that was done she told me right then and
there that they would cover replacement cost of up to $1,029 which is the cost
of an iPhone 6S 64 Gb here in Canada.

I had bought the phone on contract for $480, but the insurance company will
cover full replacement cost and she told me I can basically go ahead and order
a new phone, submit the invoice once I have it and I will then get a cheque for
$1,029 + applicaple taxes and less my $100 deductable. She also said I was free
to purchase any iPhone and if I decided to buy a more expensive model I would
still get the cheque but of course anything on top of what my 6S cost would be
my responsibility.

I must say that I was very impressed wit the coverage and the service I
received. For once I did not feel like I was treated like a criminal which
sometimes seems to be the case when you try to claim something from an
insurance company who often will try to do anything so they don’t have to pay.
After having had a chance to use my Mom’s iPhone 6S Plus I decided I’d spend
the extra $130 and I ordered a 64 Gb space grey iPhone 6S Plus, of course I
also had to shell out the cost for a new Apple Care plan so in the end it will
cost me $300 or so to replace the lost phone, but still better than nothing. Of
course there is a small chance we may find the lost phone in April or so when
the snow is gone and since I also have Apple Care for it, I guess I could
theoretically get a replacement from Apple since I assume that after 4 months
in the snow and going through the melting process my 6S won’t work any more. If
it still does work I’ll be sure to contact Apple to tell them how tough their
phones are *smile*.

Just received a ship notification for my new phone an hour ago, so I should get
it some time next week.

Best regards,