I continue to experiment, but as of this writing, no maneuver,
including the "double-tap and hold" pass-through option, is successful
in activating a link to take me to a particular page number of a
chapter.  I am working within only one book, but from the comments on
the list, I assume this problem is endemic to, or at least prevalent
in, the in-page links encountered in iBooks. I'll continue to work on
this problem.
If I were to phone Apple accessibility or email the accessibility
site, would I be likely to get a response?  I have never interacted
with Apple tech support.

Craig