Thank you for giving me the opportunity to point out the arrogance of people
like you who only want to condemn those of us who champion different causes.

Last week I was trying to select a funeral home to plan for my wife’s upcoming
demise.  One of the sites had less than adequate accessibility.  I took the
time to send them a not-so-nice complaint and request for the missing
information.

Within an hour I had the requested information despite that they would have
been justified to blow off my message because of the way it was worded.  It was
not crude, it was not screaming, but was not flattering.

When I visited them today, after we had completed our business, the owner told
me he had immediately contacted the company who maintains his site and it was
corrected the next day.

Unless NFB has changed their stance on guide dogs in the last fifteen years, I
would have to be suspicious of their attack on any dog school.  At that time it
was cane all the way.  People that took a dog to their office had to leave it
chained in the reception area.  I know one person who had his dog removed from
the building while he was talking to someone in another office.

I recently contacted NFB, ACB, and AFB for assistance when the state took my
grandchildren out of my home and said I could have them back when I cured my
blindness.  NFB sent information and called multiple times. AFB sent
information.  I am still waiting to hear from ACB, not.

Does that change my opinion of the groups? No.  I touched a sensitive spot with
NFB.  ACB may not be active in that area, the person responsible for that area
may have been on vacation, or that position may be vacant.  I did not need, or
expect top quality assistance from each group.  I got what I needed.  Next time
it may be from ACB.

I have personally assisted a number of people, including small children obtain
Social Security benefits.  I have assisted disabled servicemen and women obtain
their Veteran’s compensation benefits.  My wife and I have assisted many to
locate and obtain needed medical assistance.

Does that mean I am better than others on this list?  I think not.  I may have
more education than some, more experience than some, or more opportunities to
serve than some.  I have observed many blind people on these lists provide
hours helping others.  I know without a doubt that many provide valuable and
needed assistance in ways that you and I will never know.

This does not make us better than you or worse than you.  It may mean we are
more observant and seize more small opportunities to be of assistance.
Sometimes this includes being politely critical of people and groups that
appear to follow a narrow course in their advocacy while claiming to be
concerned on all fronts.

I have stated my opinion on the underlying subject of this thread in other
places.  Again thank you for the opportunity to get this pet peeve off my chest.

Tony