Their instructions recommend resetting the phone. This is perfectly possible
with VO and should have been done else your data is still on the phone. You can
determine if the phone is powered on by using the mute switch and if it
vibrates, it's on. Also, if you triple click home after the reset, VO will
activate.

Even if you did mistakenly leave the phone powered on and put it in the box,
the worst that could happen is the battery would go flat.

I have sold two phones to them and never had a problem. I'm sure experiences
may vary.