I am using windows. Actually, I have removed and reinstalled all apple
products. I'm reluctant to try connecting the phone and repeating this
process again just because I don't want to have to head for the apple
store again if I can avoid it. However, thank you so much for your
gracious response.
I will add one detail.  When a sighted person looked at the phone, it
was stuck at connect to iTunes. However, when I connected, the
computer did not see it. I suppose at one point I'll make sure I have
an appointment in place with apple and bite the pervervial bullet when
I try this again.
Thanks again as always, this  is a fine list to be a part of.
In the meantime, I'm doing my backups through icloud with my iphone 6.
On 12/17/16, M. Taylor <mk...@ucla.edu> wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> You did not tell us which version of iTunes you are using; this is to say,
> Mac or Windows.
>
> I will assume you are using iTunes for Windows.
>
> Given the scenario you describe, I would suggest that you first completely
> remove iTunes and all Apple products from your computer.  This can be done
> from within the add/remove area of Windows.
>
> Removing iTunes will not destroy your Library; however, I suggest that you
> make a copy of the Library before proceeding.
>
> After removing all apple components from your PC, reboot the system and
> install a fresh copy of iTunes.
>
> Finally, connect your phone, being certain to answer the prompt on both the
> computer and on the phone that will cause the computer to be trusted by the
> phone.
>
> Setup your phone as a new device and then Restore from a backup.
>
> By the way, were I you, I would probably place the backup files, in a
> separate, safe, area before removing iTunes.
>
> Mark

Brian