To be honest, I agree with you to a point. Taking away the split-tap
gesture for the DELETE key will definitely slow you down at least by a
fraction, because you have to be much more precise with where you put
your fingers when you need to delete a large amount of text. I do wish
these kind of settings could be configurable in VoiceOver's settings.

However, I'm okay with it the way it is for the time being.