It works just the same if you call the main Apple line.
And, not all Apple Store employees are created equal. I went into an Apple
store last February in order to exchange a pair of Earpods. Apple Care Plus on
my phone had run out about 4 or 5 weeks prior. I told the guy that I lived in a
small place about 800 miles away and this was my closest Apple Store and that
we had to come there (Calgary in this case) because my wife had surgery at the
big university hospital there) but he made no exception. I had also mentioned
that these Airpods I had in fact purchased at retail because when I tried to
exchange them on warranty before I was also denied warranty because the cable
was visibly frayed where the two thin cables which go to each ear split up (the
Y-junction) and the rep at the time told me they could only warranty Earpods
which weren't working properly but were physically in good shape.
Anyhow, I hadn't noticed the physical damage but accepted it and I bought a new
set.
But last February there was no visible damage at all and when I got back to my
hotel where I had my laptop I looked up my receipt and I realized that I had
bought the new pair the year before when we were also there for medical stuff.
I went back to the Apple Store the next day which happened to be exactly one
year from when I purchased them, I explained what had happened to another Apple
Geneous and he apologised for the service I got the day before and refunded me
for the purchase price of the EArpods I bought. He said that if you buy a set
of Earpods that they do have a 1-year warranty so while my Apple Care Plus had
expired, they should have been covered that way.
For the record, I think often companies are too generous with their warranties.
There is such a thing as wear and tear and consumers nowadays are trained to
get mad and threaten to post negative reviews on social media and so on if they
don't get their way. I run an outdoor clothing and equipment retail store and I
deal with this all the time. Companies like North Face, Mountain Hardwear and
so on offer a "Lifetime warranty". Then on the one hand you get people coming
in like one girl who was a treeplanter and who had bought a pair of hiking
pants. She went out on her first day of treeplanting which is a hard job, often
in rough terrain and she had gotten her pants caught on a branch and ripped
them. It was ripstop material, but there was a nice L-shaped tear in the leg
which clearly was not even close to a seam or anything like that. She got
totally mad when I told her that the lifetime warranty offered by North Face
covered defects in material and workmenship but not user-caused damage. Then I
get people who come in with a 10 or 15-year old tent where the zipper needs to
be replaced. This should not be covered under warranty after such a long time
since a zipper clearly is an item which will eventually fail because of wear
and just like anything else like that it should be up to the consumer to have
it replaced. I guess one can argue whether a frayed headset cable after less
than one year is "reasonable wear and tear" but all in all I have no problem
buying something which I know I used hard and that it simply wore out. I use my
headset every single day, I roll it up and stick it in my pocket, I sometimes
drop my phone with the headset connected and it catches on the cable, I often
catch the cable on something and it tears out of the 3.5mm jack so if it breaks
after a few months or if there isn't any visible damage I think it should be
covered, but if it's a year or more old and it starts falling apart because I
wrecked it then I just buy a new one.