Hi Jerry,

I know that pulling out the headphones stops playback, but if you are using
headphones anyways, why not just reach up to the in-line remote and press
the middle, slightly resessed part of it instead of grabbing the plug and
pulling it out. You can fully control your iPhone with the in-line control,
pause/play, answer/hang up calls, next song, previous song, fast forward and
rewind. And, of course, activate SIRI if you have a 4S or 5 by pressing and
holding the middle section for a moment.

In any case, not having those playback controls was due to some sort of
corruption, I did a factory reset and all is as it should be now.