I have to agree with what others have said, what is useful for one may
not be useful for another.  I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3, and I'm
a low vision user.  I'm also a primary VO user, but, on the iPad there
are times I use Zoom and sometimes use nothing (granted that's for
playing games like Tetris, Words with Friends and Scrabble).  However,
now that I think about it, if I want to see something small on the
screen on either Scrabble or Words With Friends I use Zoom as I keep
it running all the time -- since iOS 6.

However, for myself, I've found that I rather enjoy being able to sit
on the couch and surf the net, read emails and play games as well as
the occational Skype call.  Now, my iPad is significantly newer than
my desktop PC and even my laptop so surfing the web is much smoother
and easier!  Plus, the portability is awesome!  I"ve found myself
using it in Church to "read" along (OK with VO as if I had it enlarged
enough for me to read I'd be lost!) and also once I got the power
points emailed to me for the words in church and was able to use them
instead of my monocular looking at the front screen.

Sizewise it's much lighter than my laptop -- circa 2008.  Plus I can
hold it up close to my face if I need to for short durations.

Now, I do use my iPhone on the go, for surfing and reading emails as
well, but the battery drains much faster than my iPad.  Maybe it's
because the iPad has a larger battery or maybe it's because the iPad
doesn't have a cellular radio as I have a WiFi model.

So, therefore for myself I find myself using my iPad a lot as well as
my iPhone.  As has been stated it's a personal choice and of course
there are battery backups for the iPhone -- one can get a case or an
external backup which I have but it's heavy and I usually only carry
it on trips where I may not be able to charge my phone for a long time
such as on a driving trip on the Grayhound bus.  But... newer buses
have plugs but I don't count on them totally!  LOL

Hope this helps someone.  Feel free to ask me any questions.

katey

On 10/31/12, Cheryl Homiak <cahom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel the same way. I gave my iPad 1 to a friend; yeah, I liked it okay but
> it wasn't doing anything for me that my iPhone couldn't do and the iPhone
> was right there with me. As for the benefits of the different layouts,
> that's a very individual thing; one person's benefit may be another person's
> curse! And the person who hasn't embraced what may be benefits isn't going
> to be convinced; that's just a matter of personal preference. But I also am
> drawn by the idea of the mini and keep giving myself lectures about how I
> gave away the other iPad. Maybe the mini would carve its own niche in my
> life, but I have to decide whether that's really the best expenditure of my
> limited financial resources and try not to be driven by the appeal of the
> new, which is like the salmon swimming upstream to spawn - not bery easy!
>
> --
> Cheryl
>
> May the words of my mouth
> and the meditation of my heart
> be acceptable to You, Lord,
> my rock and my Redeemer.
> (Psalm 19:14 HCSB)
>

> On Oct 31, 2012, at 4:00 AM, Rob Harris <bobs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, will bow to superior experience,   I'm still trying to save myself a
>> wadge of cash for something i'm likely not going to use anything like
>> enough
>> to justify it.  That's why the old  iPad original got sold last week. But
>>
>> the appeal of the Mini remains something bordering on the obsessive.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

Visit my FaceBook page at: www.facebook.com/kateyjax