Hi Eleanor,
It sounds like your "mute button" may have been accidently turned on. Try toggling the "mute button".

Stan ZA
amista...@gmail.com

On 01 Nov 2012, at 12:52 AM, Eleanor Southwood wrote:

Hi all,
Voiceover (on MBP) has suddenly stopped working. When I turn the
computer on, nothing happens. If I do the key command to turn
Voiceover on a couple of times, nothing. Then, usually on the 3rd
attempt, it says ‘voiceover off’. But when I try it a 4th time,
nothing. 5th time = ‘voiceover off’ … and so on. Voiceover announces
it has been turned off on alternate presses of the keyboard command
but is otherwise completely silent.

So, for some reason, it’s able to turn VO off (and tell me so), but VO
doesn’t actually speak when it’s on (and doesn’t tell me it’s on). My
only thought is that some sort of window is coming up before VO kicks
in that is interupting it (though I can't explain why it can tel me
it’s turned off without any trouble. Also, if I press the physical
on/off button to force a shut down, the dialogue that comes up is also
read fine.

Any thoughts?

Ellie