Thank you for trying this out, Richard! Now that I have restarted my phone
several times I realise that the problem of mixing or repeating words seems to
have disappeared. I think what continues to spook me a bit is what VoiceOver is
echoing, which is not what I expect to be echoed.

I am using Brailliant BI 40 X braille display paired with my iPhone 13 pro and
VoiceOver is set to voice characters and words and some punctuation. Whilst I
am typing in for example email VoiceOver echoes very confusing random letters
or echoes a word away before the letter I have just typed. I also keep finding
that VoiceOver fails consistently to voice spaces and a lot of punctuation I
have just typed. I tried setting punctuation in verbosity to all that then
VoiceOver started reading out the most bizarre bits of punctuation on the
screen is where there was no punctuation and when I went back to some
punctuation in verbosity VoiceOver continued to voice call punctuation until I
restarted the phone. Very complex!
I am a real beginner with Braille still so I do have speech to help reassure me
about what I am typing so strange behaviour with VoiceOver really throws me!
Regards
Harry