Would you be taking the device underwater?

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Ricardo Walker
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:56 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Scuba diving and accessible dive logs

haha.

I mean, you have a point but, its also the fact developers aren't aware we
even exist.  Sure, they know there are blind people in the world but, they
don't often consider that a blind person might want to use there
application.  And it really takes more than just reason when money is
involved.  I mean seriously?  What segment of the population scuba dives.
Now, how much of them are blind?  And further, how many of them own an IOS
device.  You could probably fit these people comfortably around my dining
room table.  So the trick is, how do you make the developer care?  I agree
money screams but, I don't see how a hand full of people could effect the
developers bottom line.  So, you would have to just convince them its the
right thing to do, although it might end up with them loosing money on the
endeavor.  And in my opinion, that is the real problem.

Ricardo Walker
rica...@appletothecore.info
Twitter:@apple2thecore
www.appletothecore.info

On Dec 20, 2012, at 12:56 AM, Eric Oyen <eric.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> accessible diving apps aren't the only apps that need to be made more
accessible. the problem is that the developers are of the opinion that we
don't matter. we need to make them understand (even if it means that we
attack their revenue stream) that we are a non-trivial market segment and
that, the blind, are participating in more of the same activities that
everyone else does.

> I have already had some experience with a developer that wouldn't even
listen to reason, even when his position violates US federal law (he's the
developer of the smart crd system for the denver-rtd regional transit
system. The person is so stubborn in his position that he has gone as far as
trying to deactivate accessibility features on the denver-rtd.com website.
It basically took a direct order from his boss before he would even come
over to the colorado center for the blind to talk to us. I am still not
certain he has recognized the error of his opinion.

> anyway, we as a community, need to make these developers see that we are
serious (even if it means that we have to cut off their funding to do so).

> its the old adage: money doesn't talk. it SCREAMS at the top of its lungs.
>
> -eric
>
> On Dec 17, 2012, at 4:42 AM, Louise Redsull wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>> Now I think it would be different as there are a number of IOS apps which
could help, varhying in accessibility though but the more people who would
use them the stronger the case for getting the developer to work on the app.
>> Take care,
>>
>> Louise.

Behalf Of Mark BurningHawk
>> Sent: 16 December 2012 3:12 PM
>> To: viphone@googlegroups.com
>> Subject: Re: Scuba diving and accessible dive logs
>>
>> Considering that, when I entered the class, the instructor politely asked
me if he could show me to the *RIGHT* place, because obviously, ha ha, I
didn't want to be in Scuba diving class. Oh BOY was he apologetic when I
pulled the woman who FAILED the swim test out of the water before she
drowned.  I was the best in that class (as I usually am at anything I
attempt *grin*) and when he failed me, I just got up and left without a
word.  Should've maybe contacted the NFB, but I was 17 at the time and at
Dartmouth and I was beginning to figure out that I didn't need someone else
to tell me I'd passed a course or a test.  I bet I could go back today and,
except for the formulas for decompression time and safe diving time, I'd
pass again.  And, this wouldn't be a hard app to make for IOS, though I
don't think the Otterbox was designed to keep your I thing dry at 30-50
feet. :) pressure might actually make the screen implode at that depth. :)
However, I've thought from time to time about accessible dive meter/depth
gauge, so maybe it could be controlled by an I thing on the surface, though
obviously there are design flaws with this. I'm just babbling.

athttp://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.