If double tapping to enter a character works then split tapping should
work as well. These are just two different ways of standard typing. The
setting switches between standard typing and touch typing. Unless I'm
mistaken, there's no setting to turn on split tapping. You just get it
for free with standard typing.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail