From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Grant Hardy
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:37 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Not As It Seems To Be - Was: Iphone 5 satisfaction ?

^It's worth pointing out that there are plenty, plenty of apps, both
on the job and not, that JAWS doesn't work with at all including many
of the built-in apps included in Windows 8, as well as most
third-party "metro" apps. While you may have lucked out in your
particular case with Lotus Notes on the job, there are plenty of other
JAWS users that have encountered inaccessible or inefficient apps. An
app being accessible to JAWS isn't the exception, but it isn't the
rule either. No finger-pointing here, but simply my opinion.

Recently, in the course of my university studies I encountered a
situation where I needed to arrange an online chat with a group of
people to collaborate. After investigating various ways to do that
with JAWS on my PC, I presently changed course and turned to the
device I'm learning to depend on more and more: my iPhone. That
device, where I paid zero dollars for the screen reader, offered a
totally accessible group chat environment that lent itself perfectly
to my purposes. I'm not saying that I could not have done this on my
PC, but this was a fast-paced and time-sensitive environment where
backing out due to the chat not working, wasn't really an option.
Frankly, I trusted my iPhone quite a bit more than my PC in this
situation. (For the record, we were using Facebook Chat to conduct the
meeting, a surprisingly tricky task to accomplish on a PC it seems).

The reality is, everything on the iPhone talks out of the box, and
VoiceOver accessible apps seem to be the rule rather than the
exception. Rather than analyzing the politics of the screen reader in
question, I just want to know whether it's going to meet my needs and
how much I can do with it. iOS seems to be leading the way at present,
and I haven't seen anything to suggest that building the screen reader
into the OS is a bad thing, quite the contrary actually, it seems to
make things that much more robust.