Now Ron, don't imply I am giving you massages *smile*

Anyhow, since this is a quick explanation, here it is again:

Plug in your headset and make sure the phone is unlocked, then unplug your
headset.
Now do a 2-finger swipe up, start a bit below the middle of the screen and
swipe up towards the top of the phone.
If you do this gesture correctly it will make Voiceover start reading all
the apps on your home screen starting with the very top left one.
Maybe try it first a couple of times wit the headset plugged in so you know
it works. It doesn't matter if Voiceover is on the very top left app or on
the very right app in your dock, the 2-finger swipe up will always start
reading at the top of the screen and continue to the very bottom.
After you do the swipe up repeatedly press the volume up key and hold it,
your speaker volume should return.

What happens here is that Voiceover volume for the speaker and the headset
are treated separately. Sometimes Voiceover volume especially for the
speaker drops way down and this seems to happen especially if you use a dock
and when you remove the iPhone from the dock.
The catch is the you can only raise Voiceover volume while Voiceover is
speaking and of course it's tricky to know if it is speaking if the volume
is at 0.

Good luck,