The reason so many are upset, including myself, about this particular case has
nothing to do with the merits, or lack there in, of this case. The reason is
that Samsung attempted to remove blindness accessibility from the only product
which has full accessibility built-in (yes, Google is catching up).

As one of the reviewers quoted in the article stated, this is the public
relations equivalent of Samsung punching itself in the face.

In the blindness community, Freedom Scientific did something similar, albeit
significantly less intense, when they sued Freedom Box over its name because
Freedom is the first half of Freedom Scientific. Freedom Box, being such a
smaller company at that time changed its name to Serotech to avoid all the
expense involved in defending itself legally. It then successfully rebranded
itself. After a while, Freedom Scientific recovered its positive perception in
the community.

Any company which owns a patent or copyright must actively pursue protecting
its patent. If it does not do so, when the patented concept becomes ubiquitous,
it becomes public domain. In this case, Samsung made a huge public relations
blunder whilst actively protecting its patents. This blunder is being perceived
as though Samsung would deliberately ruin accessibility for a significantly
disadvantaged group of people. Considering that Samsung does not actively
incorporate accessibility in their consumer electronics products, do they have
any concern whatsoever for the blind?

I personally hope that, as Samsung works to clear its name from this, the
company starts adding accessibility into its products for the purpose of
repairing its public reputation.

After all, Samsung called for the removal of the ability to turn VoiceOver on
and off in the iOS devices using an accessible method. Of course, had Samsung
won the lawsuit, iOS devices, in order to comply, may well have become somewhat
less accessible. As Apple is now known for iPhone accessibility, this may well
have damaged Apple's reputation which might have given Samsung a boost in its
reputation.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288