That's because you were likely using roaming data on your home carrier.
Do not do this.

At 11:08 PM 4/26/2013, you wrote:
Also, when you go overseas you need to be careful about how much data you use. I paid a lot of money one time because I did not turn everything in the settings off.

Nancy Badger, Ph.D
Assistant Vice Chancellor, Student Services
UT Chattanooga
Sent from my iPhone with dictation software. Please excuse spelling errors.