Hi Andrew,

I agree with Jonathan. Having a local SIM/number with a prepaid data package
is the way to go. I just came back from Thailand and since I have an
unlocked iPhone anyways, it was super easy. All the major providers had
booths at the airport in Bangkok. I had asked on the Today in iOS podcast if
people had suggestions and Rob who does the podcast, read out half a dozen
replies and I picked the provider which most people recommended. Getting a
SIM card with 1 Gig of prepaid 3G data and a bunch of local minutes was
about $25, I wish they had deals like this here in Canada and the US.

I signed up for a Canadian VoIP inbound number with a company called
Flynumber, it costs $2.95 US a month and if you sign up with a company like
VoIP Stunt, VoIP Buster, VoIP Chief etc. they do unlimited forwarding to
your VoIP user name for free. I then used Groundwire, the business class SIP
client from Acrobits on my iPhone and it works beautifully. The app doesn't
even have to run in the background and if a call comes in you get a push
notification that somebody is calling and you can pick up the call.
Groundwire is a $10 app, but it's fully accessible and for $3 or 4 less you
can also get the regular Acrobits app which for most people probably does
the trick. I paid my VoIP number for 3 months, but I think I'll renew it
yearly after that because this works so well that I think I'll keep that
number and use it for other trips and this way friends and family have a
number where they can reach me anywhere in the world.

If anybody considers a trip to Thailand which, by the way, is definitely
worth a trip or 3 as long as you like heat, I had good 3G coverage in
Bangkok, Chiang Mai (northern Thailand) and on the island of Phuket, away
from the cities it was mostly Edge.

Best regards,

Sieghard