Hi Cara,
Kindle borrowed books do have a time limit, as do overdrive books from the
library. My husband once lent me a Kindle book, and I think the loan period was
2 weeks, but it may have been 7 days. And while it is true that bookshare books
have no time limit, for many of those books, at least for me, the distinction
between it and the library is moot, since I don't keep novels after I read them
anyway. In point of fact, now that we can download books from BARD, they also
have no time limit. So the analogy between such services and the public library
is not perfect. But the point still is that such services enable us to read
books without having to buy each one. The other thing to keep in mind is that
with a physical book, a sighted person can lend that to friends, thus enabling
many people to get the benefit of the one purchase, and I know people who do
that too. For me, the bottom line is that there are plenty of ways sighted
folks can and do get access to books without buying each one of them, and
nobody's suggesting that they are somehow less than fair to authors by so doing.

Mary

Mary Otten
motte...@gmail.com