  From: Raul A. Gallegos
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 1:43 PM
  Subject: Re: Justification for using Kindle vs. downloading from Bookshare

  ,one thing which I'm wondering about is what's the real difference in
  using books from Bookshare VS Kindle since none of it is free. Bookshare
  still costs money, and so do <Kindle books. What if you get a yearly
  subscription to Bookshare and then only get a few books a month from it.
  Does the cost end up being less or more than if you just purchased which
  ever books you want from Kindle, Nook, or iBooks? Or is the attraction
  to Bookshare the fact that it's specifically geared to print disabled
  like blind people. maybe I too am missing the point here. I don't
  particularly care for Bookshare, but through no fault of their own, I
  just never saw a need for myself personally. NLS is another one which I
  have used a lot, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather get the
  commercial audio books from Audible.com or purchase the electronic books
  from Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

  Yes, it's true that many people read many books by never buying them,
  getting them from the library or from a friend, ETC. Yet it's also true
  that just as many people also buy them, whether it's audio or not.

  I don't know what my point to this message is really other than just to
  agree with Kara in that if we have the equality like others, then that
  is best in my opinion.

  --
  Raul A. Gallegos
  I would have been here sooner but the bus kept stopping for other people

  On 5/12/2013 10:02 PM, Cara Quinn wrote:
  > Hi Mary,
  >
  > thanks so much for your note!
  >
  > I'm having a little trouble with the comparison between services like
BookShare and a library, only because with a library you must return the books
and with BookShare the book is yours for as long as you like.

  > I guess I'd see more of a comparison between a service like National
Library Service and a typical public library.

  > So I'm sorry if I'm missing the point here. I'm sure not meaning to hold
any particular group or interest to any specific standard, just wanting to
promote equality. That's all.

  > Thanks a bunch and have a lovely evening!
  >
  > Smiles,
  >
  > Cara :)
  > On May 12, 2013, at 3:10 PM, Mary Otten <motte...@gmail.com> wrote:
  >
  > Cara,
  >
  > Would you suggest that sighted people forego the use of the public library
or other sources, such as a university library, if you happen to be lucky
enough to have access to one, and buy all their books? Equality is great, but
equality ought also to mean being able to avail oneself of all available
resources. In a free and open society where access to information is not
limited to only those who can afford to buy everything, it seems to me that
your position sets the bar higher for the blind than it is for the rest of the
reading public.