From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:47 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: About OCR in restaurants or during shopping, was: Initial thoughts
on Prizmo 2.

Hi Krister,

Theoretically maybe one could read a menu with it, but I think it would be
inefficient at best and painful at worst. If I am by myself meaning not in
the company of a sighted person, I much prefer the interaction with a waiter
or waitress to find out what is on the menu. I think I'd feel somewhat
awkward standing up and hovering over the table trying to take pictures of
the menu to see if I can get some readable text out of it. In many cases the
results are probably bad enough so I end up asking anyways. In any case,
what's wrong with a bit of human interaction? I at least don't feel it
threatens my independence or ability to live my life.

I feel the same about shopping. I often shop on my way home from work which
means after sometimes a 10 or 12 hour work day. At that point the last thing
I want to do is work my way through the isles with my iPhone in hand using
apps like Digit-Eyes, Talking Goggles or whatever to find what I want. So I
call my local Safeway, I have a little small talk with Scott, Bob, Erin or
any of the other people who answer and whom I know, then I tell them I'd
like to pick up a few things. I tell them what it is because a lot of times
it's easier for them to get the stuff if they have some notice rather than
having to find somebody to shop with me if I show up when it happens to be
busy, and when I get there an hour or so later all I have to do is pay, load
my pack and go home.