It is interesting how simple something can sound in the abstract. Note that
Amazon does it only with Amazon controlled equipment. Back when I had both a
Windows Mobile smartphone and a Nokia smartphone, each device syncing with my
computer was basic as long as I was not trying to sync things more complicated
than updates to files, and I made sure the file was closed last on the device
which had the most recent iteration of the file. However, trying to do this
with both the Windows Mobile and the Nokia became very complicated very
quickly. When you add different OSs and different sync protocols managed by
different sync programs on the computer, it becomes messy.

So, we have the Victor Stream by HumanWare on a proprietary OS, the iPhone app
on the iOS platform, the BookSense on a modified version of Windows CE (which
has been discontinued a few years ago by the way), the Icon and Braille Plus on
a Linux variant, The BrailleNote on a different variant of modified Windows CE
(which has been discontinued a few years ago), the forthcoming APH and NBP
systems both running Android.

I would love to see you design and roll out a local syncing system that will
run locally on whichever equipment the person happens to have, and will manage
transferring file location markers effectively between these disparate devices,
with anything near 100% accuracy. After all, anything less than 100% accuracy
will rapidly earn you a large volume of complaints from this community.

Like I said, it would be a very complex project, and one I would not care to
manage.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288